What is Query?
- When a search is performed by a user, the database receives the search request and runs a query in the database.
A query (A search) does not mean A click. Therefore, if you have 100 human searchers who really searched and click one result each, it would generate 100 queries, and 100 clicks if results were given to all search requests. However, If you have 1 user who sends automated searches, he can send 1000 queries, but it may generate 1 successful clicks. If the query size becomes larger with your site, it requires larger capacity with your server. That is why most of search engines have to invest into web server(s) when they grow the traffic size (query size).
What does this filter do?
- This filter is especially designed for search engines which have large query size generated by automated kind of traffic. Like bot users, iframe traffic.
Because those automated searches are generated by script or application, those users can send hundreds and thousands queries every second without bringing many successful clicks. Normally, those automated clicks brings only 1% of successful clicks. Therefore, your site generates too many queries which may stress your server performance, but may have
very low click through rate.
So what does this mean? That means your server's recourse is used by those unnecessary queries. Some automated users do not care how is your server's capability. By sending thousands queries every minute, and generating only a few hundred clicks, this user can kill your server load. Is that worth? Sounds
cost performance is very low, doesn't it?
Query Limit Per User can....
- However, it is understandable that some search engines want to keep those traffic to gain the traffic size and earn some extra clicks. That is why this filter helps the performance maintenance. By setting limit, you can limit the number of Query
Per user Per Minute, which you can drop unnecessary queries that actually killing your server load.
Example, fi you have 1 users who is sending 3000 queries per min, but this user barely makes 10 successful clicks per min. then your server is overloaded by only 10 clicks. Which is really unproductive and cost you too much. Why? By having this user, entire site gets slow and other users who send traffic would get less clicks because of the slow server performance.
- Then, you can set
100 in QueryLimitPerUser. Script will drop this users queries after 100 queries are received from this user. (Note, this limitation works every minute.)
- By using like this, you can keep your server calm and give entire sites and all users more potentials.
You do not have to block the user = still can get clicks from the user, but you can avoid the risk to kill entire your site by having unproductive queries .
How to use?
- So the number of query you want to set is
dependent on your server capability and your script setting. The number would be different by how many feeds you use, how many bot users or such users who send large queries you have etc. Below is common idea.
- Because this is
extremely sensitive setting effect to your server performance, we do not recommend you to play the number by guessing. Please Submit support ticket to get Qualityebiz's consulting. (QualityEbiz.com
- If your site is on a dedicated server :
- If you have multi servers in load balanced environment :
100 x number of web servers
- If you have shared hosting service : contact us
- By setting
0 : you can disable this feature
- If you set the value bigger than server's capacity, it will cause your server over load. Do no give too big value to accept more query. It will cause over load and you generate less clicks.
Ideal environment is set the maximum query size server can take and keep server calm = generate more clicks,
- Some people worried that this limit would cause losing clicks. It is not. If you set right value to keep server in best performance, you will not only lose clicks but will gain the traffic size. To find the best performance, we strongly suggest you to contact QualityEbiz.com
and consult the setting.
|Authored by: QualityEbiz This question has been viewed 6306 times so far.
Click Here to View all the questions in Settings category.
|There are no attachment file(s) related to this question.
|There are no user comments for this question. Be the first to post a comment. Click Here
| Related Questions
- SubID Pre Fix
- SleepBeforeShowResults / SleepBeforeShowXml
- Special_1_Commission ~ Special_10_Commission
- Stable_1_Commission ~ 5
- KeywordRotatorColumns_Default, 2~5